- Harrison School District Two
2017 Community Survey - What Our Stakeholders Said
This spring, we invited HSD2 community members to share their opinions on key aspects of our district in our annual Community Survey. We heard from more than 1,000 people, including 521 community members, 410 employees, 141 parents of future HSD2 students, and 150 residents of neighboring communities.
We partnered with independent research and communications firm K12 Insight to administer a survey that asked about facilities and operations, curriculum, culture, communication, educational foundations, district initiatives, and our strategic plan, Mission Possible!. K12 Insight researchers compiled the confidential responses. Here’s what we learned:
- 60% of participants graded our district with an A or B
- 53% gave the district an A or B for achieving Mission Possible!
- 73% of participants said they feel informed about the district’s direction, a 6 percentage-point increase from last year
- 75% support the district’s direction, a 5 percentage-point increase
- Participants said the following are extremely or pretty important to achieving our mission: the 1:1 technology program (89%), standards-based
- curriculum (84%), and the Schools of Promise initiative (77%)
- 64% of participants said HSD2 is preparing students to pursue a college degree or post-high school credential — a 13 percentage-point increase
- 73% said HSD2 helps children enter kindergarten ready to learn
- More than two-thirds of participants said HSD2 supports students’ transition to middle school (68%) and high school (69%)
The survey also gave us the opportunity to get input from parents with children who attend school outside of HSD2. School security, class size, academic enrichment activities, academic preparation, and teachers remained the most important factors in parents' decisions to enroll their children in another district.
These findings will be used this summer to help us plan for the 2017 – 2018 school year. We are pleased to have engaged community members and we are working hard to make the improvements needed to move D2 toward becoming the best school district in America!