June 26th Letter from the Superintendents
Dear HSD2 Parents and Guardians:
When the 2020-21 school year begins, learning will look different than in previous years as we implement health and safety measures. We will continue to focus on academic instruction to promote student achievement and address learning loss. To be fully prepared for the re-opening of school in August, HSD2 will:
- Provide additional time for schools to prepare by having all teachers return to work on August 3, 2020.
- Provide a scheduled orientation for families on August 6 and 7, 2020.
- Move the first day of instruction to August 10, 2020.
- Streamline learning platforms to Canvas and Microsoft Teams for instruction.
- School communication to students and families will be via Class Dojo for elementary and Outlook email for the secondary level.
- Provide online training for all teachers in Canvas and Microsoft Teams.
The process to streamline the technology systems we use across the district was collectively determined through a committee of students, teachers, principals, and central office personnel. It was decided that it would be most beneficial to have common platforms. In these conversations, the committee looked at where the greatest level of support exists and considered the data received from school surveys.
It was determined that:
- Canvas will be the system to deliver instruction and for teacher to student collaboration for all grades, K – 12.
- Microsoft Teams will be the system utilized for peer to peer interaction for all grades, K – 12.
- Class Dojo will be the system for individual parent communications for grades K – 5.
- Outlook will be the system utilized for individual parent communication for Grades 6 – 12.
- Training will be provided for teachers to become accustomed to working with and in these systems.
As the district is preparing for all possible models of instruction and is allowing families the choice to enroll in remote learning or in-person learning, the committee recognized the need for additional training and planning prior to the first day of school. This is the reason HSD2 will modify the calendar slightly at the beginning of the year. It will allow families the opportunity to receive an orientation at their school on:
- New devices students will receive to access the online platforms we are utilizing for both in-person and remote learning.
- The model for each instructional delivery system.
- Health and safety protocols implemented at school sites.
By moving the first day of school to August 10, 2020, it will also allow staff additional time to prepare.
Your school will be reaching out to you later in July to schedule your orientation time. You and your student will receive helpful orientations for our online systems.
Dr. Wendy Birhanzel and Mr. John Rogerson
Harrison School District Two Superintendents