AVID’s mission is to prepare students for college readiness and success in a global society. It is an acclaimed system to assist students in meeting the challenges inherent in education and in attaining the dream of graduating with a college degree.
What is AVID?
AVID is a college readiness system that is designed to increase school-wide learning and performance. The AVID teacher and students become a family that supports each other in the educational process. It incorporates college field trips, tutorials, organization binders, teamwork, and study skills to ensure students succeed and achieve in high school, college, and the real world.
Why the AVID system works:
- Teaches academic skills not targeted in other classes
- Provides intensive support with in-class tutorials and a strong student/teacher relationship
Accelerates under-achieving students into more rigorous courses
Creates a positive peer group for students
Develops a sense of hope for personal achievement gained through hard work and determination
CMS AVID Highlights
- Guest Speakers
- College Information
- Community Service Opportunities
- Family Night Events
- Being part of the “AVID Family”
- Learn to be Organized and receive tutoring during the AVID Class
Quotes from AVID Students
“You learn valuable life-lessons!”
“AVID helped me become a more organized student.”
“I have learned to become more open-minded to different people and their ideas.”
AVID will help you learn how to work with different kinds of people.”
Characteristics of an AVID Student
- Have good attendance and are you punctual?
- Follow directions?
- Have good work habits?
- Have desire, determination, and are you self-motivated?
- Have curiosity for learning and inquiry?
- Have goals for college and beyond?
- Have academic potential?
- Enjoy collaboration and teamwork?