About Monterey Elementary School
Monterey Elementary is a culturally diverse neighborhood school with resources that include preschool (through CPCD), all-day kindergarten. Our curriculum meets the needs of our culturally diverse student population by providing a variety of programs and teaching strategies aligned with the Colorado State standards.
Parents and community members of Monterey are an integral part of each child's education through active involvement in his/her learning. Monterey staff is dedicated to providing a nurturing and positive learning environment for all students.
Dedicated staff members at Monterey Elementary enable teachers to utilize effective research-based instructional strategies to maximize learning for all students. We are able to provide ongoing staff development that supports teachers in using best practices in instruction. Academic and extracurricular programs include:
The Literacy and Math Programs at Monterey Elementary enable teachers to utilize effective research-based instructional strategies to maximize learning for all students. We are able to provide ongoing staff development that supports teachers in using best practices in instruction. Academic and extra-curricular programs include:
- Full-Day Kindergarten
- One to one device for students to develop 21st-century learning skills
- Before and After School Tutoring and Clubs
- YES Club
- Fun with Books
- Student Council
- Student Wellness
- Girls on the Run
- Counseling Groups (Personal/Social and Academic)
- iReady - an engaging online assessment and instruction program. iReady's adaptive test identifies students' strengths and weaknesses in reading and mathematics
- Type2Learn - This engaging program wraps keyboarding lessons into an intriguing world of adventure and information, complete with exciting new activities and typing games with student and teacher interfaces.
- Colorado Springs Conservatory - a program that allows students to explore the arts in an environment that embraces individuality and mutual respect.
- Schools and Outdoor Learning Environments (SOLE) - for 4th Graders, includes field trips to help connect the students with the outdoors.
- Drumtastic - a program that applies fitness, drumming, music, and educational concepts to improve health
While there is still work to be done on raising student achievement, Monterey students have made great gains in academic growth.
Our students are proud to be Monterey Mustangs! Monterey staff and students build meaningful relationships to promote student achievement and encourage our kids to do their best. Students are challenged daily to apply their reading and writing skills through activities that require high levels of critical thinking.
In addition to our students, our community includes many extended family members. We welcome parents, grandparents, and others to become part of the Monterey Family.
Based on a recent survey 97% of students, parents, and staff
feel safe at Monterey.