Sand Creek International is an authorized PYP (Primary Years Programme) and MYP (Middle Years Programme) International Baccalaureate School. IB World Schools share a common philosophy—a commitment to improve the teaching and learning of a diverse and inclusive community of students by delivering challenging, high-quality programmes of international education that share a powerful vision.
**Mission Statement from the IB The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment. These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
How is an IB education different than a traditional education?
International Baccalaureate® (IB) programmes aim to do more than other curricula by developing inquiring, knowledgeable, and caring young people who are motivated to succeed.
We strive to develop students who will build a better world through intercultural understanding and respect.
IB programme frameworks can operate effectively with national curricula at all ages; more than 50% of IB World Schools are state-funded.
The IB's programmes are different from other curricula because they:
- encourage students of all ages to think critically and challenge assumptions
- develop independently of government and national systems, incorporating quality practice from research and our global community of schools
- encourage students of all ages to consider both local and global contexts
- develop multilingual students
Click here to take a look at Sand Creek International School Brochure!
IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) and Middle Years Programme (MYP)Within IB there are four programmes, the Primary Years Programme and Middle Years Programme are currently offered at Sand Creek International. Students in Kindergarten through 5th grade are enrolled in the PYP, students in 6th grade through 8th grade are enrolled in the MYP. We are a fully authorized PYP school, and with the addition of middle school grades, we are now also an authorized school for MYP.
Our Programme of Inquiry (POI) - this outlines the curriculum we teach Kindergarten - 5th grade. Each grade level teaches six instructional units each year that address the transdisciplinary themes of IB.Sand Creek International K-5 POI
In the MYP Programme in 6th-8th grade, we have Approaches to Learning charts and Scope and Sequence documents that outline the instructional units in Years 1, 2, and 3 of the program.
We have also developed several policies that outline school systems within our IB Programme:
The Learner Profile is the heart of an IB Programme. The Learner Profile at Sand Creek consists of 11 attributes that we work to develop in all Sand Creek students:
- Inquirer- We nurture our curiosity, developing skills for inquiry and research. We know how to learn independently and with others. We learn with enthusiasm and sustain our love of learning throughout life.
- Knowledgeable- We develop and use conceptual understanding, exploring knowledge across a range of disciplines. We engage with issues and ideas that have local and global significance.
- Thinker- We use critical and creative thinking skills to analyze and take responsible action on complex problems. We exercise initiative in making reasoned, ethical decisions.
- Communicator- We express ourselves confidently and creatively in more than one language and in many ways. We collaborate effectively, listening carefully to the perspectives of other individuals and groups.
- Principled- We act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness and justice, and with respect for the dignity and rights of people everywhere. We take responsibility for our actions and their consequences.
- Open-Minded- We critically appreciate our own cultures and personal histories, as well as the values and traditions of others. We seek and evaluate a range of points of view, and we are willing to grow from the experience.
- Caring- We show empathy, compassion, and respect. We have a commitment to service, and we act to make a positive difference in the lives of others and in the world around us.
- Courageous- We approach uncertainty with forethought and determination; we work independently and cooperatively to explore new ideas and innovative strategies. We are resourceful and resilient in the face of challenges and change.
- Balanced- We understand the importance of balancing different aspects of our lives- intellectual, physical, and emotional- to achieve well-being for ourselves and others. We recognize our interdependence with other people and with the world in which we live.
- Reflective- We thoughtfully consider the world and our own ideas and experience. We work to understand our strengths and weaknesses in order to support our learning and personal development.
- Persistent – We persevere in the face of challenges, knowing that we learn and grow from mistakes in life. We view challenges as opportunities to further our learning.