Any individual, group, school, or non-school organization that would like to use any of the school facilities or equipment must do so by completing the Application for Use of School Facilities. There are two options for completing the application:
- Online: In order to submit facility usage requests online, you will first need to be set up as an approved requester in the system. Already have an account on FMX? Log in now.
- Paper: Download a copy of the Application for Use of School Facilities form.
When requesting the use of facilities, please follow these instructions, and note that highlighted text is a link to the information:
- Determine what District building your group would like to use. The District map is a good starting point to determine where all buildings are located.
- Submit the application online or in person. If you choose to submit a paper application, it must be submitted to the Facility Usage Office via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The submission of the Rental Request Form constitutes a guarantee to the Board of Education that the group on the Rental Request Form will be responsible for the use of facilities, and they have read the District Regulation KF-R document.
- Provide a certificate of insurance. The District requires a certificate of general liability insurance for all groups using District property. The general liability insurance must be not less than one million ($1,000,000) per occurrence with a two million ($2,000,000) aggregate total naming Harrison School District 2 the additional insured. Proof of insurance must be provided at least 10 business days prior to the scheduled use and maintained throughout use. Questions can be directed to the Facility Usage office via e-mail email@example.com or phone (719) 920-6750.
The building principal or their designee will review and provide initial approval of facility use. The application is then forwarded to the Facility Usage office for final review and approval. In no case shall verbal commitments for facility use be considered in any way binding upon the District. Application is not approved until you have received confirmation from the Facility Usage office. Upon final approval, the application will serve as the permit and must be made available for review upon request by District staff during facility use. Groups failing to produce this permit will be asked to leave the premises immediately.
Approval of facility usage will be based on several criteria, including, but not limited to:
- Eligibility of the individual or group to use school facilities
- How the building use fits in with or impacts scheduled school activities at the site or previously approved building use activities
- Whether custodial or other staff help will be needed and, if so, if it is available
- If a District employee is available to operate specialized equipment requests
- District-administered activities shall always have priority over non-district-administered activities. Individuals may not apply to utilize school facilities for private, personal, or family activities, such as wedding receptions, family reunions, or birthday parties.
Applications for facility usage are accepted on the following schedules:
- One-time, short-term (typically requesting less than five days of use) and repetitive, long-term requests: Applications will be accepted beginning the first business day of May each year and up to ten business days prior to the activity date.
- Ongoing requests typically requesting more than five days of use:
- Fall/Winter activities (start of school year thru spring break) - Applications will be accepted beginning the first business day of May each year. Please note that depending on the location requested, Fall/Winter applications for gym use may not be approved until all district activities have been scheduled, which typically occurs the first week of November.
- Spring/Summer activities (after spring break thru the end of summer break) - Applications will be accepted beginning on the first business day of November. Please note that depending on the location requested, Spring/Summer applications for field use may not be approved until all district activities have been scheduled, which typically occurs in mid-March.
Use of school facilities is limited to the facilities requested by the user at the time of application and may not be modified without previous approval by the District. No portion of the public school facility may be used by any group after 10:00 pm without prior approval of the Superintendent/designee. Use of the facilities must be kept within the hours specified in the approved application.
Denial of Use
The district reserves the right to deny building use for any reason. In addition, use will be denied if in the judgment of the Superintendent or their designee the proposed activities would:
1. Jeopardize the equipment and/or facilities of the building
2. Conflict with school activities
3. Be incompatible with the school neighborhood
4. Violate any Board policy or local, state, or federal law
The applicant may file a written appeal to the superintendent if a use application has been denied by the principal. Further appeal, if necessary, may be made to the Board of Education.
LEGAL REFS.: C.R.S. 22-32-109 (1)(bb)
C.R.S. 24-10-101 et seq., Colorado Governmental Immunity Act
CROSS REF.: ADC, Tobacco-Free Schools