Federal Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer Program Provides Supplemental Food Money to Eligible Families
You may be eligible to receive $279 per child to help feed your family due to COVID-19. Pandemic EBT, or P-EBT, is a new beneﬁt for families that usually receive free and reduced-price school meals.
The Gazette: Plans move ahead on $32 million project to replace Carmel Middle School in southeast Colorado Springs
A development plan to replace Carmel Middle School with a new 100,000-square-foot school on the same site where it has stood for nearly 50 years is in the hands of Colorado Springs city planners.
August 28, 2020
September 7, 2020
September 8, 2020
2020-2021 School Year FAQs
CARMEL MIDDLE SCHOOL
6th Grade will be a school within a school at Monterey Elementary School, Grades 7 and 8 will be a school within a school at Panorama Middle School.
- Carmel Middle School will have its own designated spaces within each host school.
- Carmel students will be taught by Carmel teachers.
- 6th graders will be transported to Panorama for all after-school clubs and sports.
- Enrollment of new students for grades 6 through 8 will take place TUE /THU 9:00-1:00 at Panorama.
Preguntas frecuentes sobre el año escolar 2020-2021
ESCUELA INTERMEDIA CARMEL
6th Grado será una escuela dentro de una escuela en la Escuela Primaria Monterey Los grados 7 y 8 serán una escuela dentro de una escuela en la escuela secundaria Panorama.
- Carmel Middle School tendrá sus propios espacios designados dentro de cada escuela anfitriona.
- Los estudiantes de Carmel serán enseñados por maestros de Carmel.
- Los estudiantes de sexto grado serán transportados a Panorama para todos los clubes y deportes después de la escuela.
- La inscripción de nuevos estudiantes para los grados 6º a 8º tendrá lugar TU / TH 9:00-1:00 en Panorama.
Dear HSD2 Parents and Guardians,
We continue to work with El Paso County Public Health (EPCPH) to monitor the local impact of COVID-19 and how the data will impact the reopening of schools in El Paso County for the 2020-2021 school year. EPCPH experts have informed us that local infection rates have plateaued, and hospitalization rates have stabilized. El Paso County has also implemented a new testing site on the southeast side of town which will support data-driven decisions. This testing site will be able to test anyone two years old and older. Testing information is available on the EPCPH website.
“Given our current testing and hospital capacities, as well as our improving infection numbers, El Paso County Public Health supports in-person learning as provided in the guidance,” said Dr. Kelly, Deputy Director of El Paso County Public Health.
With this updated information, we believe we can continue our Reopening School Plan that includes an August 17 start date (in-person and eLearning) for K-5 students and a remote start for students in grades 6-12.
As of today, our plans for the start of school are still as follows:
- First full day of school: Monday, August 17
- Grades K–5: In-person learning with extensive health and safety protocols in place including but not limited to hand hygiene, social distancing, wearing masks, and the use of cohorts or eLearning from home.
- Grades 6-12: All students in these grades will start with our remote learning model as recommended by EPCPH and will return to in-person learning on Tuesday, September 8, 2020.
Please keep in mind that changes could still arise based on updated data from EPCPH, the Colorado Department of Health and Environment, and the Governor’s Office.
Finally, our ability to start and maintain in-person learning is 100% dependent upon our collective actions and decisions. As we prepare to open, we are asking for all members of the HSD2 and El Paso County community to do our part to help ensure that students can be in school safely. Please help your students avoid meeting with large groups of friends, maintain appropriate social distancing and have them wear a mask in accordance with the state mandate – together, as a community, we can help the situation. Let us rise to this challenge together.
Dr. Wendy Birhanzel and Mr. John Rogerson
Wellness Exams, Immunizations & Sports Physicals available for all D2 students!
Please see the flyer for details:
- Back-2-School Appointments for Physicals, Vaccinations
Please be sure to update your contact information with your student’s school registrar. We will send most information via email and it is best to provide the school with an email address that you check often. Emergency communications and inclement weather alerts will also go out via text message. Please update your mobile number with the school registrar as well. Remember to download the FREE district app, visit our district website and school websites regularly, and follow us on Facebook to stay up to date!
If you were unable to attend our Parent Q&A sessions, they are recorded and available for you to view here.
Still have questions about returning to school? Please submit them via Let’s Talk.
We are a community of life-long learners who value relationships built on trust. We create collaborative and engaging learning environments that cultivate students curiosity, empathy, and risk-taking. We want our students to receive the best instruction and prepare them to make educated decisions about college or career choices.
We know parents and/or guardians are essential to the success of students, we strive to work in partnership with parents and/or guardians to accomplish that goal through the very involved Parent Program (VIP) and a variety of community and family engagement opportunities.
Carmel Middle School offers a mindset of continuous growth and development whole in pursuit of exemplary learning.