Our mission as school counselors is to provide a standards-based, comprehensive counseling program that will assist all students in acquiring the skills, knowledge and attitudes needed to become effective students, responsible citizens, productive workers and lifelong learners.
What is our vision? The Harrison School District Counseling Program is an integral part of every student's educational experience and is dedicated to addressing individual student uniqueness, understanding multicultural diversity, and actively supporting the maximum development of human potential. This program addresses the personal/social, educational, and career needs of all students by promoting a safe, developmentally-appropriate learning environment. The counseling program's ultimate goal is for students to graduate with the competencies necessary to make self-directed, realistic, and responsible decisions and to be successful contributors to society.
Key components of Harrison's standards-based counseling program include support and services in the areas of academic, career and personal/social development. Our thirty-three district counselors (K-12) are an integral part of each building's leadership team:
- Academic counseling in group and individual settings
- Career counseling and exploration of the world of work
- Personal/Social counseling and skill development
- Coordinate community resources for students and their families
- Support teaching staff addressing issues impacting students' ability to be learning ready
- Facilitate non-academic (affective) programs and services addressing the needs of the whole child
- Collaborate with staff to develop practices that create a safe learning environment